Saturday, December 31, 2011

Back Home on the Prairie


            Yesterday evening, we returned home after three nights in downtown Chicago.  I loved walking in the city, being moved along in the waves of people on the sidewalk and then weaving through the crowds when they got too slow for me.  We stayed near the Water Tower, and in the background, we heard church bells, cars, and countless sirens in addition to other hotel guests in the hallway and in the room next door.
            So when we lay in bed reading last night, I was struck by the quiet.  Marilyn was reading a novel she had not been able to put down, and I was paging through a new book of poems I had received for Christmas.  The loudest sound was my turning the pages—that is, until a gust of wind shook the house, and the room filled with rattling and creaking.  I turned to Marilyn and said, “We’re home.”  


Photos of the prairie and the big city in Dec. 2011.

This was taken on our walk in Meadowbrook Park, Urbana, on December 23, 2011.


This new sculpture in the park is called Diamonds are Forever.



I love the colors of this sculpture.  Its title is Fathers and Sons.
Afternoon view from our hotel room window in Chicago.

The lion outside the Art Institute was decked out for the holidays.


No comments:

Post a Comment