Thursday, June 21, 2012

Colors and Textures of Indian Textiles: Photos

These sarees were waiting to be picked up at the dry cleaner's; the display case was above the counter where clothes are dropped off and picked up.  Textiles woven and printed all over India are worn as sarees, dupattas (scarves), shawls, and tailored clothing, and they are also used to cover tables and beds.  Living with such beauty is good for the soul, for my soul at least.   
  



When I come to Bombay, I buy most of my dupattas at this small shop in an old market near Chembur Station.  The shop is more like a stall, maybe six feet wide and four feet deep.  Two floor-to-ceiling displays on either side of the stall are at right angles to the counter. 

A close-up of scarves at my favorite shop.
Kashmiri embroidery, at the Cottage Industries Emporium in Delhi.

Kashmiri embroidery on black fabric.
This embroidery was amazing in its detail.  I cannot remember now what part of India it was from, but the northeast rings a bell.  I saw this at the Cottage Industries Emporium in Delhi.
  
Silk brocade, at the Cottage Industries Emporium in Delhi. 


3 comments:

  1. Oh, I would be in heaven! I could spend days and days in a place like that. I would need a couple of extra suitcases to bring home, too. Thanks for the photos, Umeeta, and yes, beauty like that is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How stunning! I, like Joy, would be in heaven. I often admire women in colorful sarees, and love how they make every woman seem so beautiful- all ages and shapes are complemented by them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not be able to leave and return to the U.S. Love, love, love the fishermen. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete