Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Paying Attention to the Petunias



Not watching the clock constantly—that is my favorite thing about summer break.  As I transition to the fall semester, I mourn the loss of the peace of being in the moment, really being in it, without one eye on the clock that will tell me to move on to the next responsibility. 

Every year, I wonder how I will cope with the change from contemplation to rushing, from solitude to teaching multiple groups of students five days a week.

A pot of petunias reminded me how I cope. 

The pot is in a corner of the deck; pale blooms with dark centers flow out of the pot like an extravagant bridal bouquet.  I noticed this cascade of flowers on a recent evening as I ate dinner outside with friends.  My eyes were drawn to the petunias even as I listened to the conversation and joined in the laughter.  The beauty of those blooms filled me up. 

Paying attention to the petunias grounded me and refreshed me.  On busy days, focusing on such beauty, even for a few minutes, will bring peace.  When the rushing is wearing me out, I will remember to pause and to pay attention to the petunias. 

No comments:

Post a Comment